General Rock Excavation
Excavation of 10,000m³ of hard granite in a busy town in New Hampshire U.S.
Explosives were prohibited due to:
- Fear of nitrates penetrating underground spring and walls
- Shock waves and vibration effecting surrounding houses, shops & roads
- High noise levels
- High dust levels
Hydraulic rock breakers were not considered due to:
- The considerable duration to break the granite
- Exorbitant costs involved
- Increased and continuous noise
The Cardox System is extensively used for breaking rock and concrete with complete safety and without any adverse effects. Cardox produces instantaneously a powerful heaving force using CO2 which cracks and breaks the rock or concrete.